Rose Gardens: A Beloved Staple in the World of Fine Horticulture
Of course, when we think of sprawling estates and the rich and famous, we think of lush flower gardens, pruned orchards, and topiaries. One of the most beautiful and magical things that space and a good gardener allows is the luxury of a personal rose garden. Celebrities (including movie stars, a pop star, and a princess) who love/d to unwind in their rose gardens include:
- Sophia Loren can be seen gathering crimson roses from her villa in Rome, 1964.
- Audrey Hepburn: Although she will live on in infamy as the charming Cockney flower girl who became transformed in My Fair Lady, Hepburn loved flowers in real life and took pride in her garden.
- Grace Kelly: Princess Grace’s Memorial Rose Garden in Monaco is still a sight for tourists to pay respects to the late beauty. While she was alive, she adored spending time with her children in the garden.
- Lady Gaga: the Pop star-turned-actress can be seen—shears in hand—clipping fresh roses from her Malibu garden.
- Barbra Streisand: “An avid rose lover, Barbra was very choosy when it came to picking a rose that would bear her name. It had to have large flowers with an attractive color. But most of all, it must be fragrant!” This lavender spectacle is a treat for the eyes and nose!’
- Oprah Winfrey loves to grow her own roses and vegetables.
“I don’t think of flowers as something material, flowers come, and then they go back to where they came from. You can’t hold them for long.” -Oprah
Other Amazing Celebrity Gardeners and Floral Admirers
- Highgrove Gardens: “Highgrove is the private residence of TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, near Tetbury in Gloucestershire. Since 1980 when the Prince of Wales first arrived at Highgrove, His Royal Highness has devoted much energy to transforming the gardens around the house, which are renowned as some of the most inspiring and innovative in the United Kingdom.”
Highgrove House is actually open to visitors (under usual circumstances) and is a real treat for any horticulture lover. Even a virtual online tour is available.
- Fun Fact: It has even been said that Prince Charles enjoys talking to his plants!
- Tim Curry: Known as an avid and extremely talented gardener and nature-lover, Curry restored a Spanish villa in Los Feliz (until 2014 when he sold the property). The home and gardens were featured in Architectural Digest in 1998.
Don’t forget to visit Chelsea Flowers for all your floral needs.
For more flower-related information discussed in this blog, consult the websites mentioned below:
#chelseaflowers_london #chelseaflowers #flowers #OnTheBlog